Bring your wallet to St Moritz, we offer a very special copy of Tazio 1 at the RM Sotheby’s Sankt Moritz auction. All proceeds go to the Grand Prix Trust.
We consider ourselves lucky to be talking to many of racing’s and rallying’s great almost all the time these days. We receive a lot from racing’s community, and we really wanted to give something back as well. Hence the idea of auctioning off something special from Tazio at RM Sotheby’s Sankt Moritz auction, held on September 9 as one of the events that make up the International St Moritz Auto Week (ISAW) in Switzerland.
Grand Prix Trust
The Grand Prix Trust is an organization originally set up by Jackie Stewart thirty years ago as the Grand Prix Mechanics Charitable Trust. Originally, it set out to provide financial aide for F1 mechanics when confronted with medical bills, financial trouble or lay-offs. In the meantime, its span has widened to associate personnel as well (photographers, reporters, catering staff, tyre suppliers and FIA personnel). It has 2000 members in the meantime.
We donate everything that comes from the sale of this item to the Grand Prix Trust. In all fairness, we are a bit anxious to see how this will go. Whether we will look a bit silly, or whether we will be very proud.
In any event, here is what we did. For the past six months, we have been carrying a copy of issue 1 to different events and asked a total of thirteen legends if they wanted to sign the issue. First of all, none of them refused. These are the people whose signatures you will find on the cover:
- Nigel Mansell, 1992 F1 world champion and 1993 Indycar champion
- Gérard Larrousse, double Le Mans winner (1973, 1974)
- Derek Bell, five-time Le Mans winner (1975, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1987) and three-time Daytona 24 winner (1986, 1987, 1989)
- Jochen Mass, Le Mans winner (1989) and F1 winner
- Christian Geistdörfer, WRC world champion co-driver (1980, 1982)
- Hans-Joachim Stuck, double Le Mans winner (1986, 1987), winner Sebring 12 Hours (1975, 1986)
- Eric Hélary, Le Mans winner (1993)
- Timo Bernhard, Le Mans winner (2015), winner Sebring 12 Hours (2008), winner Daytona 24 (2003)
- Bernd Schneider, five-time DTM champion (1995, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2006), FIA GT champion (1997)
- Jochen Neerpasch, winner Daytona 24 (1968)
- Stefan Johansson, winner Le Mans (1997), Ferrari and McLaren driver in F1
- Timo Glock, five-timeDTM race winner, F1 driver
- Erik Comas, GT500 champion Japan (1998, 1999), F1 driver
Next to the issue, we will provide a booklet with pictures of these heroes during the signing. All for a good cause. More info on the auction here.